Moving On Up – 10 Tips for Planning a Stress-Free Move
Moving to a new home can be a big and exciting change, but all of the organizing, packing, and to-dos that come along with it can be frustrating and stressful. To help make sure moving day goes off without a hitch, we’ve put together 10 tips for planning a stress-free move that will ensure your transition is as smooth as possible! Whether you’re relocating just around the corner or coast-to-coast, this guide will provide you with simple steps you can take to keep your move organized and easy on your budget.
Let’s get started!
- Get Organized: Keep your move organized by breaking it down into manageable tasks and setting aside a few hours each day to work on them. Set up an organization system to keep track of important paperwork, contact information for movers, packing materials, utility companies, etc.
- Create A Budget: Estimate the cost of your move and create a budget to ensure it fits into your overall financial plan. Calculate the expenses associated with packing supplies, moving trucks and labor costs, as well as any potential storage fees you may incur.
- Find A Mover: Research and compare different movers in your area to find a professional mover that fits within your budget and meets all of your needs. Be sure to read customer reviews and ask for references from past customers before making a final decision.
- Schedule Ahead: Contact movers, utility companies, banks, etc., as soon as possible so that you can book an appointment for the day of your move when necessary. This will help minimize last-minute scrambling on moving day itself!
- Plan your Packing: To make the packing process simpler, buy all of the necessary materials in advance and start packing early. Start with items that you don’t use often and be sure to label boxes clearly so they are easier to unpack later on.
- Purge Your Possessions: Moving is a great opportunity to get rid of any clutter or unwanted items that can take up valuable space in your new home. Take some time before moving day to sort through your belongings and donate or sell anything you no longer need or want.
- Transfer Utilities: Contact utility companies at least two weeks before your move so that services can be transferred over as smoothly as possible once you arrive at your new home.
- Change Your Address: Notify friends, family, banks and any other necessary contacts of your new address in advance so that there won’t be any delays in mail delivery once you move.
- Get Insured: Invest in moving insurance to protect your possessions from damage or loss during transit. Be sure to read the fine print and compare different policies before making a final decision.
- Don’t Forget the Details: On the day of your move, make sure to take pictures of items before they are packed up and be aware of any stairs or narrow hallways that could cause moving problems with large pieces of furniture or boxes. Finally, don’t forget to clean your old home before you leave and pick up the keys for your new one once everything is unloaded!
Following these 10 tips for planning a stress-free move will help make sure that you start off on the right foot in your new place. All of the hard work and preparation that goes into moving can be overwhelming, but taking it step by step will ensure a smoother transition for you and your family. Good luck with your upcoming move!